You are here: Home Welcome Service for … Arrival


After the pre-arrival preparations, we are happy to welcome you in Freiburg! You can schedule an appointment to talk about the next steps.

Residence Registration

Generally, every international guest has to register their residence with the citizen's center (Bürgerservice) within 14 days upon arrival. Only prescheduled appointments will be accepted. You can schedule an appointment online (in German). (Find here a guide to scheduling the appointment.)

The following documents will be needed:

  • valid passport or ID document (of all accompanying family members)
  • confirmation by the landlord or landlady (Wohnungsgeberbestätigung)
  • if applicable: marriage certificate in English or German
  • if applicable: birth certificate of your accompanying children in English or German


Residence Permit and Work Permit

A residence permit is needed for a stay in Germany. Residence law includes different kinds of permits:


The residence permit, the Blue Card EU and a visa are all temporary permit categories. The settlement permit and the permanent reisdence permit - EU are permanent categories. The main difference between the settlement permit and the permanent residence permit is the latter's included right to move to another EU country. A residence permit must explicitly include the permission to work within its definition in order for it to also function as a work permit.

If you wish to stay longer than three months, you have to apply for a residence permit six to eight weeks before your visa expires. You can apply for a permit if you have confirmation of sufficient financial resources for the duration of the stay, or if you have work contract with the university.

We are happy to assist you with the application for a residence permit. You can find more information on residence law for international scholars on the EURAXESS website.


Please find the relevant information provided by the Student Service Center.



Persons with a work contract at the University of Freiburg: you will receive the Unicard automtaically via Human Resources.

Enrolled doctoral candidates: you will receive the Unicard via mail after you have enrolled.

Scholarship holders: you will receive the Unicard at your academic department.

More information on the Unicard.


Life in Germany

Life in a new country may include many unfamiliar aspects. We have compiled a few resources to make your start in Germany a bit easier.


Language Schools in Freiburg